The Lock the Gate Alliance is a national grassroots organisation made up of over 40,000 supporters and more than 250 local groups who are concerned about unsafe coal and gas mining. These groups are located in all parts of Australia and include farmers, traditional custodians, conservationists and urban residents.
Our vision is of healthy, empowered communities which have fair, democratic processes available to them to protect their land and water and deliver sustainable solutions to food and energy needs.
The mission of the Lock the Gate Alliance is to protect Australia’s natural, cultural and agricultural resources from inappropriate mining and to educate and empower all Australians to demand sustainable solutions to food and energy production.
The Alliance is committed in all its activities to the following principles:
- Robust scientific assessment, the precautionary principle and the principle of intergenerational equity should guide decision-making.
- Landholders and communities should have the right to reject mining developments which they consider unsuitable.
- Mining companies should be legally subject to the highest standards of openness, transparency and accountability.
- Members and supporters should aim to act responsibly at all times and in accordance with principles of peacefulness and compassion.
Through its organisation and campaigning against inappropriate mining, the Alliance has five central aims:
- To protect Australia’s water systems.
- To protect Australia’s agricultural land for food and fibre production.
- To protect Australia’s bushlands, wetlands and wildlife.
- To protect the health of all Australians.
- To protect Australia’s Aboriginal and cultural heritage.
The Alliance has adopted the following policy of peaceful behaviour:
- We will treat each person (including companies, police and media) with respect.
- We will act responsibly at all times, engendering a spirit of peacefulness and compassion.
- We will not use physical violence, threats or insulting language
- We will protect our opponents from insults or attack.
- We will not damage equipment, apparatus or property of others.
- We will accept responsibility for our actions.
- We will assert our right to peaceful protest.
In working to achieve these aims the Alliance has the following policy objectives:
- The creation of 'no-go zones' on coal and unconventional gas mining to protect productive agricultural land, national tourism icons, residential dwellings, important water sources, cultural heritage sites and sensitive natural areas.
- Comprehensive health impact assessments and the implementation and enforcement of strict, scientifically determined and measurable standards to curtail air, water and soil pollution from coal and unconventional gas mining.
- Far-reaching reform of legal and administrative constraints on mining to introduce the highest standards of independence, probity and transparency, to empower communities to reject projects, and to provide third party legal rights.
- The provision of legal rights to landholders to allow them to prevent exploration and mining for coal and unconventional gas on their properties.
- The removal of public subsidies and tax incentives currently available to coal and gas companies for mining and infrastructure development, and improved measures to ensure they pay their fair share in taxes.
- Prevention of coal mines and unconventional gas wells, and associated infrastructure including ports, dams and pipelines, that will cause harm to important land, water and cultural resources.
- Independent and rigorous research into greenhouse gas emissions from coal and unconventional gas mining to make sure they are properly and fully paid for.
- A moratorium on unconventional gas mining and exploration until a rigorous research program has been completed into its impacts on human health, water resources and the environment.