The Lock the Gate Alliance is a national grassroots organisation made up of thousands of individuals and over 160 local groups who are concerned about inappropriate mining.
The mission of the Lock the Gate Alliance is to protect Australia’s natural, environmental, cultural and agricultural resources from inappropriate mining and to educate and empower all Australians to demand sustainable solutions to food and energy production.
The Alliance is committed in all its activities to the following principles:
- That robust scientific assessment, the precautionary principle and the principle of intergenerational equity should guide decision-making.
- That communities should have the ultimate say, within the context of principle 1.
- That it will support all and any communities who support the objectives of the Alliance.
Through its organisation and campaigning against inappropriate mining, the Alliance has five central aims:
- To protect Australia’s water systems.
- To protect Australia’s agricultural land for food and fibre production.
- To protect Australia’s bushlands, wetlands and wildlife.
- To protect the health of all Australians.
- To protect Australia’s Aboriginal and cultural heritage.
The Alliance has adopted the following policy of peaceful behaviour:
- We will treat each person (including companies, police and media) with respect.
- We will act responsibly at all times, engendering a spirit of peacefulness and compassion.
- We will not use physical violence, threats or insulting language
- We will protect our opponents from insults or attack.
- We will not damage equipment, apparatus or property of others.
- We will accept responsibility for our actions.
- We will assert our right to peaceful protest.