**Attention** Only 2 spots left please get in touch with Hayley 0421830241 before buying a ticket.
Join Brisbane volunteers and supporters on a one day road trip and tour to the Acland and Oakey region to visit the people and the places impacted by the Acland coal mine and stage 3 expansion.
The locals and farmers of the area have been opposing this for a decade, last year after the longest land court case in QLD, the court recommended that the mine should be rejected. It was found that the potential impacts of the mine expansion would be too great, effecting the groundwater for generations to come. The farmers and locals remaining in the area have experienced water bores running dry, and health problems relating to dust and noise from the existing coal mine.
Now it is up to the state government to make there decision. A decision that will either put the integrity of the Land Court in jeopardy, or make history by supporting the farmers and locals in the area, and protect the groundwater for future generations.
The tour will include:
- Visit local sustainable farmers to find out how the mine effects them
- Visit what remains of the town of Acland, a town brought up by the mine.
- Meet and greet locals at the war memorial park in Acland.
- Hear from locals about the health and noise issues experienced
- View of the mine and infrastructure.
- See and hear about the existing effects of bore water.
- Commentary on the bus trip
What you need to know:
- Pick up from Brisbane (Yeronga train station meet 7:30 and leave 8am)
- Pick up from near Ipswich 9am (To be confirmed depending on need).
- Will be arriving back in Brisbane at 7:30pm
- Lunch and snacks will be provided, bring water and extra snacks.
There are limited places so please book asap. Please book a full priced ticket if you can afford it to help cover costs. Concession is available for students and job seekers. If price is a barrier please get in touch and we can discuss options.