National mapping reveals that 37.3% of Australia is covered by coal and gas licences and applications.
That amounts to 285 million hectares - an area almost 13 times the size of Great Britain!
Our best food-producing lands, our finest natural areas and some of our most important water resources are all at risk from unsafe coal and gas mining.
Many of our important water supplies are at risk, including:
- Greater Sydney’s drinking water catchment
- Important groundwater resources for Perth Metro region
- The vast inland water supplies of the Great Artesian Basin
- The wonderful desert rivers of the Lake Eyre Basin of south-west Qld
- The recharge zone for the international tourist icon of Mataranka Hot Springs
- The mighty Martuwarra Fitzroy River catchment in the Kimberley
- Ground and surface water in the farming regions of the Darling Downs, north west NSW and the Hunter Valley.
Explore the map below by switching the layers on and off on the right, and using the zoom features, to find out if your home, your favourite holiday location or your family are covered by coal or gas licences.
And please share this map with your friends and family across the country – everyone needs to know what’s at stake!