New hope for Darling Downs farmers with battle against coal mining company headed to the High Court

Published: June 05, 2020

Farmers on Queensland’s Darling Downs fighting to protect underground water and some of the best agricultural land in the country against a destructive coal mine are taking their battle to the High Court of Australia.

Today, the Oakey Coal Action Alliance’s application to have the matter heard in the High Court was approved.

OCAA secretary Paul King said the decision was strongly welcomed by the farmers who had been involved in the 13 year struggle against the New Acland Stage 3 proposal.

“It gives them renewed hope for their future,” he said.

Lock the Gate Alliance Queensland spokesperson Ellie Smith said, “Hopefully with the fight now headed to the High Court, New Acland owners New Hope will stop trying to bully the Palaszczuk Government into approving this destructive coal mine expansion.

“So much has been lost already with stages one and two of this truly terrible mine, so we will fight until the very end to stop Stage 3.

“If the New Acland Stage 3 thermal coal mine is approved, it would destroy more than 1,300 hectares of mapped Strategic Cropping Land and drain 365 water bores.

“This mine would kill farming jobs and threaten food production, including 10 million litres of milk, at a time when it is needed more than ever.

“New Hope has been fined for noise violations, drilling illegal bore holes, and is still under investigation for mining outside its designated area.

“The Oakey community has fought this battle with heart and soul for more than a decade now, and we will continue to fight with them until this mine is stopped.”

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

connect

get updates


Content on this site is authorised by Georgina Woods for Lock the Gate Alliance, Lismore NSW.