Robert Skappel donated 2019-12-23 21:10:57 +1100
Your regular donation will defend clean water and healthy communities from risky coal and gas mining!
Regular contributions give Lock the Gate the ability to plan and work effectively to prevent environmental damage and stop dangerous pollution from coal and gas expansion.
Robert Skappel posted about Sydney volunteers on Facebook 2018-05-30 10:56:16 +1000Take the survey: Sydney volunteers
In preparation to ramp up our #Time2Choose campaign to protect NSW from damaging coal and gas projects, we want to understand better what you would like to contribute to the movement and how.
Thanks in advance for answering 9 short questions.Take the survey
We estimate it will take you 5 minutes to complete this survey.
Make Coal Giants Pay for Mine Clean-Up
Our new report – Abandoned Mines in Queensland: Toxic Time-bomb or Employment Opportunity? – calls for big mining companies to cover the cost of rehabilitating the State’s abandoned mines and estimates that this would generate 6000 jobs in regional Queensland!
There are too many large abandoned mines, and the full cost of cleaning them up is too large and should not fall on taxpayers. If mines are levied to pay for the clean up, they can also create jobs in the process.
Why should we miss out on hundreds of schools and hospitals because we’re footing the bill for the mess left behind by irresponsible mining companies?
- Hazelwood Mine Fire Inquiry Report (pdf)
- ACF Mine Rehab Stories
- Abandoned Mines in Queensland Report
- NSW Coal Pit Legacy
- Mine Rehab Closure Cost Report
- Rhetoric Vs Reality. Rehab performance snapshot
We call on the NSW and Queensland Premiers to strengthen weak mining laws and force companies to honour their obligations to rehabilitate their mines. The following needs to be done:
- Increase the required deposit to cover rehabilitation costs
- Require all future mines to backfill their mining pits and protect water resources
- Establish an independent authority to monitor and enforce mine rehabilitation
- Penalise companies who breach rehabilitation requirements.
Together we can ensure that the mining industry is held to account and that our land and water resources are protected against abandoned mines.
In NSW right now, we're at a crucial cross-roads. It's a stark choice - will we choose more damaging coal and gas mining, or will we choose clean food, clean air and clean energy?
We need members of parliament to know that we're demanding better choices for NSW.
Are you willing to meet your MP?
Let us know where you are, and give us your phone number, and we’ll give you a call to talk through the details.
Here’s the simple choice we’re asking them to make for New South Wales. Will they support our vision to:
- Promote health and prosperity through agriculture and reliable clean energy
- Protect communities, including Indigenous communities, and give them legal rights to object to mining
- Protect important farmland, catchments and water resources from risky coal mining
- Stop mining and exploration for unconventional gas (like CSG)
Will your local member make this choice for NSW’s future?