That amounts to 285 million hectares - an area almost 13 times the size of Great Britain!
And many of our nationally significant water supplies are at risk, including:
- Sydney’s drinking water catchment
- Important groundwater resources for Perth and Alice Springs
- The vast inland water supplies of the Great Artesian Basin
- The wonderful desert rivers of the Lake Eyre Basin of south-west Qld
- The recharge zone for the international tourist icon of Mataranka Hot Springs
- The groundwater of the magnificent Limestone Coast of South Australia
Explore the map below by switching the layers on and off on the right, and using the zoom features, to find out if your home, your favourite holiday location or your family are covered by coal or gas licences.
And please share this map with your friends and family across the country – everyone needs to know what’s at stake.