Newman government has no mandate to trash Queenslanders’ rights

Published: September 09, 2014

The Newman government has no mandate to trash Queenslanders’ rights as it’s planning to do, says Lock the Gate Alliance.

Lock the Gate’s president, Drew Hutton said the proposed State Government’s Mineral and Resources (Common Provisions) Bill 2014 would take away people’s rights to object to mining projects in 90 per cent of cases.

“Even if the proposed mine is next door and you’re going to be adversely effected by noise, dust and health impacts, the new law will mean you can’t object,” Mr Hutton said.

“If your water downstream from the mine is likely to be contaminated, you will have no right to object because the mine is not on your property.

“Before the election we didn’t hear Premier Newman or his deputy Jeff Seeney telling us they planned to take away our rights to object so they do not have a mandate to do so.”

By next week, 20 communities across Queensland will have declared themselves coal and gasfield mining free, bringing the total around Australia to more than 240.

Mr Hutton said the People’s Bill, launched last week, was the “fair alternative” to the government’s proposals.  See here for details of People's Bill and watch the video here: https://vimeo.com/103762184

“Queenslanders have had the right to object for around 50 years and now the Newman government wants to strip us of that right,” he said. “The government’s proposals are simply unfair and all Australians deserve a fair go, not just those involved in mining.”

The government ignored the 26 recommendations put forward against the Bill. If the Bill is passed this week, Lock the Gate calls on the ALP and cross-bench MPS to repeal it, should the LNP government fall at the next election.

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

connect

get updates