The Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek has approved her first new coal project, the Isaac River Coal Mine in the QLD Bowen Basin.
At the same time she has dismissed the climate impacts of three huge new coal projects, including Whitehaven Coal’s Narrabri Underground project.
We need to let Plibersek know this is not acceptable. Will you call her office and let her know she must do her job to protect the climate and environment?
(02) 6277 7920
Here are some key points and tips for your phone call:
- Tell the person who answers the phone that you’re calling to express your disappointment in the approval of the Isaac River mine which will impact the climate, wildlife, water and the Great Barrier Reef.
- You’re also very concerned about her decision to reject the reconsideration requests for the Narrabri Underground coal expansion, and the Mount Pleasant Mine and the Ensham mine in Queensland.
- As Lawyers at Environmental Justice Australia have said: "The Minister has a responsibility to scrutinise the immense and indisputable climate harm that all new coal and gas proposals pose to Australia’s environment, not just the immediate local impact."
- The Narrabri Underground expansion will be the dirtiest thermal coal mine in Australia and emit more than one million tonnes of CO2e per year.
- The climate science is clear, we can’t afford new coal mines.