Last week it was revealed that the Queensland Government secretly approved petroleum leases across vast areas of the Lake Eyre Basin rivers and floodplains.
Watch grazier Angus Emmott explain the massive threat this poses to this global treasure, to Indigenous cultural heritage and to the chemical-free beef industry on ABC Breakfast.
Will you urgently call the Premier’s office today on (07) 3719 7000? Please be polite. The phone will be answered by someone in her office. Ask them to take down your name and number and to pass on a message to the Premier.
Here are some points you can make:
- You’re appalled by the Government’s decision to give Origin Energy fracking leases across vast areas of Lake Eyre Basin rivers and floodplains south of Windorah.
- You’d like to know why they made this decision, given their repeated election promises to consult on protecting the area.
- You’d also like to know why affected Traditional Owners and graziers were not consulted.
- You are concerned about the severe damage that thousands of gas wells, and associated roads and pipelines, would do to these fragile wetlands.
- Ask for an immediate moratorium on any further approvals of any kind for fracking in the Lake Eyre Basin floodplains and long-term legal protection to ban oil and gas on the floodplains.
Please leave us a message below to let us know how it went.